Is it okay for me to burst a bubble first?
Botox is actually one of the brand names for cosmetic producers of Botulinum Toxin A (BoNT), the neurotoxin produced by anaerobic bacteria Clostridium botulinum (much like Colgate is a brand name of toothpaste). Since the company was the first to develop injectable botulinum toxins, Botox has become the name associated with the procedure of relaxing the muscles in a specific area of the body.
WHAT ARE BOTOX AND FILLERS AND HOW DO THEY WORK?
Botox injections block nerve signals traveling to the muscles using an injectable botulinum toxin. Muscles cannot contract again after being injected, thus relaxing and softening. Face wrinkles, chronic migraines, excessive underarm sweating, and overactive bladder can be reduced by this method. The fillers are gel-like substances made of Hyaluronic Acid (HA) that are injected beneath the skin to replenish lost volume, smooth wrinkles, plump the lips, and restore a more youthful appearance.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BOTOX AND FILLERS?
Even though they are often used interchangeably, botox and fillers are not the same. Botox temporarily stops wrinkles and lines, while fillers replenish volume and smooth the skin over a longer period of time than botox. Botox is usually done on the forehead lines, crow’s feet (lines around the eye), and frown lines while fillers are usually done to smooth out lines around the nose and mouth (a.k.a. marionette lines, smile lines, and parentheses), enhance & restore volume to sunken cheeks or temples, diminish vertical lip lines, plump & enhance the lips, smooth out a chin crease, and improve symmetry among facial features.
SIDE EFFECTS OF BOTOX AND FILLERS.
A botox injection and a filler injection have similar and temporary side effects. A few of them are;
- Muscle weakness or paralysis nearby
- Itching, hives, or rashes
- Bruising, bleeding, swelling, numbness, or redness
- Dry mouth
- Trouble swallowing, speaking or breathing
- Blurry vision or vision problems
MYTHS ABOUT BOTOX AND FILLERS.
- Cosmetics injections are very painful
- Botox injections and dermal fillers are toxic, unsafe, and dangerous
- Botox injections and dermal filler are just for women
- Botox injections and dermal fillers are the same
- Botox injections and dermal fillers freeze your face.
- Botox injections or dermal fillers, your skin will sag and wrinkle more than ever before.